Sunday, April 17, 2011

Laptops - Possess Or Not Possess?

I have a laptop from time to time for several years. Because of the independence and accessibility, have simply not been a cost effective solution for business or pleasure. That is, until recently.

Last fall I bought a Dell Inspiron 700m notebook mostly for work. It was the best equipment investment I've made ... and I have five computers in my house. (Note: I am writing this sitting in the passenger seat of our van for the family after a visit from Grandma).

This is not a commercial for Dell. It is on laptops in general and the minimum specifications to look for if you are considering a purchase. Please note, progress is constant, the technology will be obsolete before here. Use this guide as a minimum starting point.

For me, the biggest concern or a problem with a laptop was portability ... Portability means that the battery is needed. You must have a computer with Centrino ™ Mobile Technology. Centrino ™ technology allows my battery to power my laptop up to four hours! Four hours!

With four hours of computer time, you should be able to access the Internet (thanks Al Gore). This is where WiFi comes in. Of course, you want your laptop to have the card and the cable modem for online connections, but it would be an absolute crime if you do not have Wi-Fi capability. Wi-Fi is nothing more than to have a wireless Internet connection, so no cables or plugs for your laptop.

Third, you want a lightweight laptop, you can without compromising the size of the keyboard. This makes it much easier to carry around and you'll move more often.

Fourth, you want a CD / DVD on board and at least two USB ports. CD / DVD allows you to watch movies or important safety information. USB ports let you connect peripherals such as cameras, printers, etc.

Last but not least, the "something else" you need to make your laptop perform as good as his older brother. You want at least 256 MB of RAM (I recommend 512), a 30 GB hard drive (I recommend 60 GB) and a screen and keyboard size that suits you.

Good luck!

0 comments: